July 2 2018
Iron County Historical Museum
Iron County Historical Museum is a must do on when visiting Iron County. The Iron County Historical Museum was founded in October 1962. In 1963, the Pickands-Mather Company deeded 5.5 acres, including the large mining headframe and engine house of the Caspian Mine, to Iron County to create a museum. In 1968, the Museum opened in time for the Caspian and Mineral Hills Jubilees. The grounds were planned with outdoor complexes following the European pattern of development. In 1970 the Peterson Mining Hall was added to the engine house. In 1971 the Brule Cabin, a homestead from 1913, was moved to the Museum park. The Beechwood Log Home (circa1890) was moved to the grounds in 1972, as was the Stager Depot (built in 1890). In 1972-73, the Johnson Homestead Cabin (1906) and the Sharrard Lumber Camp (circa 1920), the last standing in Iron County, were brought in and a metal storage barn was built. The Soderquist barns in Bates Township were reassembled on the grounds in 1976. In 1977 the Blacksmith Shop (end of Bates Barn) was added and in the Museum’s lumber camp area, a sleigh barn (using material from the torn-down Chicagoan Lake Pavilion) was built. In 1978 Carrie Jacobs-Bond’s home (c.1890) was moved from Iron River to the Museum Park. The log Kline house (c.1890) was reassembled as a barn in 1983-84. In 1987 the Puotinen log barn (c. 1900) joined it in the homestead area. The “Shops” building east of the Depot was built in 1985 in time for the “Reporter” Dedication. In 1988-89 the Pioneer (Baumgartner) School, the 1911 St. Mary’s Church from Gaastra and a sauna belonging to the William Maki family were moved in. The LeBlanc Gallery was added in 1990-91 and the Mining Memorial Hall in 1995-96. The Red Barn and shed were added in 1998. The Brandon Giovanelli Home and Studio were brought in, in 1999. And the Young Fire Hall and the Museum Research Center were added in 2004 and 2005, respectively.